The Power of Internet which YOU should use...

The Power of Internet, which you should use...




The power of technology can be admired better, when you experience it personally.


Less than a year ago, when I started my blog from a remote location in Central India from a place in Madhya Pradesh, from where nearest airport is 175 kms, surrounded by limestone mines, with limited access to mobile services and restricted access to internet connectivity. The only source of the information and entertainment was Satellite TV in guest house, that too only free to air channels. Newspaper use to come in the evening and that too one day late. There was no access to any professional magazines and trade journals. This was the lifestyle far away from family and friends.  

As the Chief Operating Officer of one of the most modern factory of oilseed processing in India, which I was instrumental in bring off the ground and run it successfully,  till I moved to Delhi, I use to spend my day at my factory with my team to see that we must produce the best quality edible oil in the country and offer the best services to our farmers and to produce the best products to our consumers. 

Other than factory work, I use to travel in remote areas in travelling to villages to meet soybean and mustard farmers to understand their agriculture requirements and also to meet small edible oil traders and shopkeeper in nearby villages and towns to understand their business practices and consumer behaviour. 

When all operations were streamlined at factory and when my teams comfortable and were managing everything as planned,  It was big challenge how to utilise the time efficiently. 

Why Internet is better option for managers to spend time?

Besides normal business operations as COO of the oilseed processing company, I was interacting with managers of nearby companies and also witnessed the typical corporate politics in other nearby companies. They were at its peak. I was shocking to see how corporate managers use to play games against each other to save their skin when things go wrong and how to hide the poor performance by preparing selective and doctored reports by hiding the facts from the management. Many were projecting work done by others as their own work to take the credit from the management and promoters. Some use to play games by keeping quiet in the meetings even if the were aware that the decision taken by management is not right in the given situation at ground. They use to allow things to go bad so that management can ask them to step in and rectify the situation, without accepting that earlier decision was not correct. It was sad to watch games people play at the cost of company's interest. The reason was very simple, most of them were retired and joined the company after retirement from other companies. They had no aspiration to grow in career for them it was time pass and to get good salary even after retirement, over and above pension from earlier company. 

The sad part was promoters had closed close group of people, like cortie, and they were the biggest liability for the company. Most of them were retired, no fire in belly to excel in late age and the only qualification was they were in good books of the promoters or they were directly or indirectly related to the promoter's families. Competency was not the criteria, but the "loyalty" means "Yes Sir" was the sole criteria in meetings. It was truly democratic process, major of yes man were the part of every committee.  It was obvious, after retirement when you get a highly paid job who would like to risk it by saying "No Sir."

I was also advised many many old and senior managers, that is the the secret to success here and to ensure peaceful and tension free life here. 

Soon you all will find that company going bust.  One can choose to ignore the facts, but facts remain. I will inform you when that happens...

Learn Corporate Politics:

Is this the isolated case, NO. It is fun to see how organisations work now-a-days. The more important question is, why this happens?

It appears, corporate politics is an integral part of the management systems, I suggest students and managers must learn about this aspect of management, so that they can contribute better without feeling 'used' by someone else. I remember there was chapter in our OB course at IIM-A, "How to manage your BOSS?". There is another good book i.e. "What they don't teach you in Harvard Business School?"

In this environment, what a manager should do?

Internet is a powerful and useful companion:

In the absence of any outlet to discharge their create energy, the best option was them to play corporate politics.  During my stay of almost three years, I never saw any family get-together or an activities (which was not mandatory by the company) where senior managers invite each other to their homes. The worst part was most of them were not familiar with computers and Internet, and many were not having either computer and internet at home. So, we can't blame this self-imposed restriction to internet-chatting or any other external influence. 

It was very enriching experience and there were great learning in the process. Overall it was great learning in such remote area. Thanks to all of those who contributed to my learning about corporate dynamics. 

When I shifted to Delhi few months back, I found the corporate culture is almost similar all over. 

The only correlation which I noticed was that the corporate politics is inversely proportional to the competency of the team leader or leader of the organisation. Lower the competency of the leader, higher is the level of corporate politics. Interestingly, age and experience is irrelevant when it comes to corporate politics.  

Sometimes  I feel internet is god sent gift in such environment and provide you an access to wider universe, outside your own self-glorified world of corporate politics, to understand life better. 

Don't you think we should demand, free internet access under "Right of Freedom of Speech and Expression". At least for those, who are not covered under Food Security Act. In the name of justice at least we should get this much. What do you say.

This will also enhance creative potential of every individual, who is willing to explore it. Think it over. 

You can read and write on subject of your choice. Improve your skills and understanding about new technologies and concepts, exchange ideas, explore the world and share your thoughts. Moreover, the information which your seniors are not telling you or your colleagues are hiding from you, can be available on Internet, after all it is Global University for Free. The only risk is, you should not build your argument or assessment just article or any opinion without know the assumptions and context of the subject. 

So, it means, you have read a lot. But not in office, in place of watch TV, you may learn more from internet. 

I fully agree and endorse that internet should not hurt your office responsibility, performance and personal life. Addiction and misuse of any thing is bad, including internet.

Why I started writing blogs?

Before going to lead the construction and operations activities at  factory in remote area, I use to write regularly for various magazines and journals. In that remote area, I was not getting an outlet to share and interact with my professional colleagues and friends.  Very often they use to ask when I will write my next article or why you were not in the conference. This motivated me to explore possibilities of using cyberspace to share my thoughts on various technical and management issues.

When I was think about it, I saw some articles in newspapers about power of social media and blogs. I thought of exploring it. I prefer Google platform because of inter linkages on google platform and it is easy to migrate from one platform and format to other. So, without much though I preferred, Blogger, on google platform. 

Power of Internet:

I don't know how it spreads, but today, I am happy that with addition of country Georgia, the list of countries which I am able to record has reached 100. 

When I started, I never imagined that readers from 100 plus countries will read my blog. It is such an humbling 
experience. First Month the readership was just 182 readers only. The average readership per month is about 8000 to 10,000. 

Suddenly, I feel that this has added to my responsibility. My approach towards my blog has become serious. When so many people are reading the blog, I have to work hard on the content so that my readers should not feel disappointed. I will try my best to deliver to meet the expectation of my readers.

But, what is your role as readers? 

Don't appreciate what you like, but at least give me your feedback what you don't like in my blog. Give me a chance to improve on it. Without expressing your views, how I will know, where I have to improve?

Will you do your bit? 

You shouldLooking forward for it.

Today, the spread of the blog is virtually in every part of the world. I have plotted all the countries on the map. This has also improved my geography substantially. This is unplanned benefit due to blog. 

Pl. see the map below...


Thank you very much for your support...

Are you using internet to express yourself? Why not?  

The best part of Internet is not biased about designations, social status, political affiliation or religion and ...

It is an equal opportunity democratic platform better than any socio-economic-political forum in the world...


Think about it?

To send your feedback and for updates you may press follow at twitter: @vijaysardana


Flag Counter


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Financial Scandal, Growing NPAs and Indian Political-Economy

Business Practices for Innovation

Mid-day Meal Program - Constant Food Safety Threat for School Kids? Some facts...